Considering I spend a rather considerable amount of my spare time reading, I thought I would reflect on my top books for 2014 and give like a tiny baby review of each.
I'm going to go backwards from 5 to 1, and link you to the books page on Goodreads. Just click the book's title.
5. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
Don't Look Back is the type of book that I would include in a category I call the 'duds'. Most usually, these are books that I actually find when browsing the library or book section of a store, and the ones that look sad and lonely and overlooked. They are not The Hunger Games or Divergent or anything super famous that I rush to get like a wild animal, but books I stumble upon when I am in a remission stage (having no books to read).
Rather expectantly, I don't really expect much of the 'dud' books. But after reading Don't Look Back, I had to look back and I was actually like 'woah'. I think I might have been in a state of shock, because a dud book had rattled me and my categories, I can remember actually reading this novel and being kind of freaked out because the suspense in this writing is killer. For her first YA mystery, Jennifer L. Armentrout did a superb job, leaving me on the edge of my seat. I did NOT expect the twist either. So good.
4. Disruption by Jessica Shirvington
I only actually read this book like one week before the new year, and had been putting it off for a long while. Why I did that? I do not know myself, because this book was so, so great. I have been reading quite a few book set in the future lately, where all sci-fi type stuff exists, and this one was by far the best. It develops so well, and the detail in this book is immense. However, I think the thing that made this book it for me was the girl power. I absolutely loved how the main character was so determined, smart, powerful (oh yes!) and strong. She practices ancient martial arts and thinks like a machine. Even the cover is like all feminist. I think you should read this one. Oh, and the rich boy romance, *takes deep breath* was damn good.
3. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
This book was also in my dud category. I am ashamed of myself. Starting off with an intelligent map of the island, We Were Liars basically set itself up for success from what, page 4. I was particularly impressed that it had a map, as many YA's do not. The use of personification for feelings is extremely powerful, along with the fact that the rather disturbed main character describes situations using fairytales. Suspense was also a major selling point in this novel, building and building, until finally, the moment (when everything is revealed and you have to check if you are breathing okay). Sophisticated and modern. A thrilling read.
2. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
I can't believe I'm doing this. Ignite Me had been my number one book for the whole of 2014, and then 2 days before 2015, it was not. Oh gosh. I honestly do not know how this happened. I read this book 5 times in 3 days. Over and over, in fact, I am reading it right now, again. I was so sure that it was going to be #1. Okay, so even though I haven't explained what the book it about and all the rest, I think you may be able to see that I am having a hard time comprehending how this came to be number two. I just love this novel so much and Warner. Oh, Warner.
1. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
I only read this novel 2 days ago, so maybe thats why it is number one of my top 5 books of 2014. The Winner's Curse was an 'Oh wow' type of book. So much so, I literally spoke the whole book aloud, as if I was living in a huge vast empire by the sea, with beautiful clothing and rich, vibrant colours and sounds and flavours. Meaningful music and dashing men? Yes please! I think the woman power and determination in this book was what did it for me also. The main character feels so real, the love is forbidden and the detail is so thought out. Oh how I loved this book.
Okay, so perhaps I think one and two tied, because both were SUPERB. Yes, they shall tie.
If you have Goodreads and would like to keep up to date with what i'm reading and what I would like to read and my unusually obsessive fangirling over Warner, then you should most probably become my friend.
Here is a link to my profile:
miki's Goodreads profile
3. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
This book was also in my dud category. I am ashamed of myself. Starting off with an intelligent map of the island, We Were Liars basically set itself up for success from what, page 4. I was particularly impressed that it had a map, as many YA's do not. The use of personification for feelings is extremely powerful, along with the fact that the rather disturbed main character describes situations using fairytales. Suspense was also a major selling point in this novel, building and building, until finally, the moment (when everything is revealed and you have to check if you are breathing okay). Sophisticated and modern. A thrilling read.
2. Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi
I can't believe I'm doing this. Ignite Me had been my number one book for the whole of 2014, and then 2 days before 2015, it was not. Oh gosh. I honestly do not know how this happened. I read this book 5 times in 3 days. Over and over, in fact, I am reading it right now, again. I was so sure that it was going to be #1. Okay, so even though I haven't explained what the book it about and all the rest, I think you may be able to see that I am having a hard time comprehending how this came to be number two. I just love this novel so much and Warner. Oh, Warner.
1. The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
I only read this novel 2 days ago, so maybe thats why it is number one of my top 5 books of 2014. The Winner's Curse was an 'Oh wow' type of book. So much so, I literally spoke the whole book aloud, as if I was living in a huge vast empire by the sea, with beautiful clothing and rich, vibrant colours and sounds and flavours. Meaningful music and dashing men? Yes please! I think the woman power and determination in this book was what did it for me also. The main character feels so real, the love is forbidden and the detail is so thought out. Oh how I loved this book.
Okay, so perhaps I think one and two tied, because both were SUPERB. Yes, they shall tie.
If you have Goodreads and would like to keep up to date with what i'm reading and what I would like to read and my unusually obsessive fangirling over Warner, then you should most probably become my friend.
Here is a link to my profile:
miki's Goodreads profile
That is all for now,
miki

0 comments:
Post a Comment